Monday, February 21, 2011

Sabotaging the Generations 1


Didn't realize it had been so long since I blogged last. But I doubt you suffered any loss not hearing from me. Anyway...

Recently several times Erika and I have seen situations in lives that we fear are sabotaging the next generation of believers in "good" Christian's lives. Don't hear me saying that there is no hope for those who are reared in these situations, I am committed to the absolute sovereignty of God (including election), but God gives ample instruction and normal means of the preparation of hearts and awakening of spiritual desires. So I guess I share these two situations because of my burden for Christ's flock and their offspring and the Kingdom. Hear them, and share them in the form of a warning.

1) Inconsistent gathering. I know, I know, harping on being with the church again. What can I say, it's the preacher's job. But really, children (or grandchildren) of professing Christians easily interpret the message that gathering with God's people is of minimal importance and done only when convenient if there is no consistency in Dad/Mom's or grandparent's lives. They realize that the church is not that important, thus Christ is not important, therefore a waste of time. They see very little impact upon their family's lives from Christ, and will eventually abandon the faith. Even if they don't abandon the faith officially, they abandon it in their hearts, and express a greater hypocrisy than the preceding generation.

Certainly consistent church gathering will not ensure future faith of our children, and there are many other ways that consistent church gatherers can destroy infant faith, but it seems a simple obedience to follow (Heb 10:25) to aid our children's picture of real faith. Once the chain of faith is broken, think of how many children and grandchildren of otherwise well meaning Christians will end up among the goats that were appointed to eternal fire. Time and space would not permit me to elaborate on the other benefits of regular participation with the Body of Christ, but isn't the eternity of our children and the generations to follow worth our determined commitment?

"Therefore know that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments" -Deut 7:9

Never got to number two, guess I will do that one tomorrow...

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment