Monday, October 4, 2010

They Shall Know that I am the LORD

I was reading this morning in Exodus and I was reminded of a recurring theme that I encountered in Ezekiel over and over:

Then I will harden Pharaoh's heart, so that he will pursue them; and I will gain honor over Pharaoh and over all his army, that the Egyptians may know that I am the LORD." -Exodus 14:4

That phrase, or variations of it occurred 60 times in Ezekiel referring to Israel and many other nations. It was pounded into my brain as I read Ezekiel some time back. This morning I realized that God was concerned, not only about Israel knowing that He was the One True God, but also the Egyptians who He was in the process of humbling and destroying. A couple of thoughts occurred to me:
  1. We are constantly in need of reminding that God is really God, the sovereign Lord over all the earth, all circumstances, all situations, all people, all things at all times
  2. God will go to great lengths, even the deaths of hundreds or thousands, to ensure that His Name is made great in the sight of many. And this is for the good of the many.
  3. God has a great concern for your/my enemies and their eternal destiny, thus so should we. And therefore, we must remember how we handle opposition is extremely important.
  4. I think it is valid to evaluate each situation in our lives with the question: how is God using this to make me (and others) know that He is the Lord?
Open our eyes to Your greatness, and make us realize Your sufficiency and centrality, as You work all things after the counsel of Your will!

No comments:

Post a Comment