Tuesday, January 22, 2013

No-Brainer?

Just a couple of thoughts that are on my mind regarding gun control this morning. Sorry to turn political, not my usual. Obviously, there could be a lot more said on the subject, just a thought I had a today to add into the mix that I thought may be logical. I also realize that on both sides of this debate, logic doesn't always prevail. Just a simple thought, nothing more, nothing less...

I read an article this morning on Fox News that talked about a Maine legislator who is proposing a bill to allow teachers in schools to carry concealed weapons. There were, I thought, a lot of wise restrictions on this proposal. If you want to read the full article you can click here. His premise was that criminals and psychopaths are probably not going to obey new gun laws and tighter restrictions. So the only way to help schools be safer, is to help them not be defenseless. I like his logic, but I know some folks don't. But here's my thought,

Let me draw a parallel between gun-control and illegal immigration: Most gun-control proponents who would restrict firearms further, make an assumption that I don't think is accurate. They assume that tighter restrictions will reduce the number of guns to a level that would make a significant difference in gun crime. With the number of guns out there today, this is not good logic. Here is the comparison to illegal immigration. There is no way that we could actually get rid of illegal aliens. Complete and total deportation is not a viable option. I am not saying this is what I would do if I could, just drawing a parallel for comparison. And if someone proposed this, most people would realize the idea is ludicrous. The situation is similar, to propose that restrictions would significantly reduce gun crime is kind of ludicrous, because there are so many out there.

I didn't know this, but i found out that AR-15 rifles are the number one selling gun in the US. And there are so many people, unlike me, whose wives have allowed them to have one. There is no way gun restrictions can eliminate those that are already out there. People are not just going to hand over their weapons. And criminals will find a way to get them.

The lifespan of most modern firearms is a long time. The only way restrictions like this could even begin to help is in about 50-100 years. And then it's questionable. Gun restrictions on particular firearms, will not help. Find another way.

And just one more thought this morning that is semi-related.  I also read an article covering a breaking story in NM where a teenager killed his family.  I really think that the media doesn't help matters when they stop everything, and focus all their attention on the shooter and shootings.  They inadvertently glorify the whole incident, the shooter, and the means.  If they would ignore it, teens and other psychopaths wouldn't see the path to immortality here on earth so easily.  Instant glory, the whole nation thinks of you when you kill people.  You go from nobody to somebody overnight.  I wish the media would have a brain too.  Not my original thought, you can find the source of it for me on this video (excuse the language).

And just by the way, like Charlton Heston said, "out of my cold dead hands!"

1 comment:

  1. Its like you learn my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the guide in it or something.
    I believe that you simply can do with some % to drive the message house a little bit, but other than that, that is excellent blog. An excellent read. I'll certainly be back.
    My webpage > diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete