Monday, January 21, 2013

Care for the Fatherless

I have been reading a book lately called Orphonology. I admit I began reading it for purposes of sermon preparation for this week. This past week was Sanctity of Life Sunday, but rather than preaching against abortion, I decided to preach for adoption.

I serve on our local pregnancy care center's board, and I am completely in support of overturning Roe v. Wade. I believe abortion is murder, and it is a heinous and brutal reality in our country. I believe God will judge us for it. But I wanted to spend time yesterday promoting a solution to the problem that is very biblical and often overlooked, rather than simply cursing the darkness.

I also have always been a proponent of adoption. I have many friends to have gone down the road of adoption, loving the fatherless like they should. My experience with children's homes internationally has given me a heart and an understanding of the magnitude of the problem. But I just wanted to say that this book has challenged me and been a blessing.

I am only about halfway through the book but it asked a piercing question early on. They asked those of us who standup for the unborn, if we would also be willing to adopt those children if mothers decided not to abort. WOW! This is something that we really should consider, with the a mail of orphans worldwide who need a father and a mother.

So let me encourage you to read the book. Also here is the link to my sermon on adoption in case you're interested. Remember James 1:27 tells us that pure and undefiled religion is to visit the orphans and widows in their distress. Are we doing that? Are you doing that? Would you be willing to do that?

No comments:

Post a Comment