Monday, May 23, 2011

Just a Few Feet from Possible Death

Had an experience this morning that made me think. I was walking to work this morning about 6:00, and it was still dark, but light was coming. Someone had left a little tiny kitten on my porch (that's another blog), and so after I turned on the water sprinkler on the garden, and headed for the office. Two of my cats (Cremesicle and Lola) began to follow me over there. When I looked up, and noticed a medium size animal on the other side of the church building under the streetlight.

I had seen a fox a week or so back, but couldn't really tell what this was in the dark from that distance, so I began my approach. Closer I got, I realized it was that fox (I guess it was the same one). And it was just aimlessly walking around under the light. Fascinated, I watched some, then began to creep up the edge of the building where he couldn't see me. And my cats faithfully, or blindly, followed me.

I got right up to the corner of the building (about 35 yards from the fox), and watched. Then my fearless (or stupid) cat, Cremesicle, finally saw the fox, and he thought he better go investigate. Now I am wondering if curiosity was going to kill the cat! But my curiosity got the better of me, because I wanted to see what would happen (I was going to rescue him if he needed it).

The fox didn't see the cat until Cremey was about half way between us. He looked a little puzzled, and Cremey got down ready for the pounce. By this time I was a little worried, so I drew my trusty 9mm, just in case. From 30 yards, that fox would have a sporting chance with only a three inch barrel on my Taurus 709, but he better watch out!

The fox came closer to the cat, and kinda circled him. I could take a few more steps that way toward the very edge of the building (the AC unit had been in front of me). So I am ready, Cremey is ready, and the fox is looking stumped. He is cautiously approaching the cat (there was about 10 feet between them). But then he caught a glimpse of me; probably my face in the glow of the light. Then you could tell he went from puzzled to alert.

Since I was busted, I figured it was time to put an end to the curiosity (from all parties). So I stood up, and began walking toward the fox. That was it, he was outta there! And I watched him run over into the adjoining field, looking back every now and then to see if I was still there. So maybe I will see him again. It was a really exhilarating experience.

But as I reflected on it all, this was my thought: he didn't know how close he might have been to getting shot and killed. And I wondered how many times God protected me, had mercy on me, rescued me from myself... How many times had death been so close, and I just did not realize it? How close was eternal punishment to me before grace intervened?

"But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses...for by grace you have been saved..." - Ephesians 2


Even today, with the sin in my life from last week, God's mercy has given me breath. Just thankful for His sovereignty and His loving-kindness (mercy)! Has he been merciful to you? Have you thanked Him for it today?

"Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever." Ps 136:1-26

No comments:

Post a Comment